I am very thankful to my mother to have brought me up the way she did. Yes, there was the occasional caning involved (she is a teacher), but it was never for no reason. It was because I didn't do so well in the test due to careless mistakes, did not do my homework and got told on by the teacher's at school, things like that. It happened in primary school. But I would classify that as discipline, far from abuse. I dare say, with that discipline I am where I am now. I am driven to pursue what I want. (I have to say, there is still the lazy worm acting up in me sometimes, but I believe the discipline when I was young has pushed me to go far).
Yes, I may not have grew up like any other kids, what is sesame street? I only know to sing the song this year, because of my niece Kaelyn. "~can you tell me how to get, can you tell me how to get to sesame street.~" I was always planted in the seat next to her when she is doing her tutoring at home. Every morning before school, every evening after school, shower and meal. Just by her side, doing all my homework. I would ask question like: why do people watch tv? Is that fun? (This may be an exaggeration, I have a bad memory you know, I forget). But yeah, I may not have grew up like the other kids. But I am thankful for who I am today. My parents did what they did and that has made me ME today.
If i was asked: will I ever hit my children as a form of discipline in the future? Yes would be my answer. As a becoming teacher, I will tell you this. If I do not care about you, I would not even think about disciplining you. On the same ground I believe, my mother did what she did. She loved and cared enough to discipline me when I was wrong. After the walloping, she usually brings the famous ZAMBUK that we use at home for every type of epidermal related abnormality. (can't find another milder description). She would talk about what I did wrong, tells me not to do it again. Even if that was when I was in primary school, i believe it has whipped me into shape to strive to do well in later years.
Why did I talk about caning all of a sudden? Well, I was displease at how because of a different culture, there are people who choose to judge. Debating about how it goes against all religious beliefs if one decides to afflict bodily punishment to their kids. Well then, should I say that according to your religious beliefs, one shouldn't be judging? I think we should all take a step back and ask the question: what is the basis of punishment? Is it for your self contentment? Or is it out of love? I stand to fend for my mother in this case. I know she did it out of love. It was her way of caring and I accept. Maybe at the time of it happening I was feeling nothing but anger towards her. But like many other things, when I was younger, I was stupid. Now that i think back, again I say, I am truly thankful for what my mom has done. Making me ME.
I love you mom. I did not tell the the person off about judging another's behaviour. Because mom, you taught me better than that. :)
Love,
Esther
Sunday, May 12, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment